Frequently Asked Questions

Why am I charged interest when I had an extension to file?

An extension of time to file your return does not extend the time to pay.  Interest accrues on income tax that is not paid on or before the due date. If you expect to owe more tax when you file your return, you should make a payment online or by mail, using a payment...

Should the return and payment be mailed to the same address?

No, returns are mailed to: New Mexico Tax and Revenue Department P.O. Box 25122Santa Fe, NM 87504-5122 Payments, including estimated payments, should be mailed to: New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department P.O. Box 8390Santa Fe, NM 87504-8390 back to list

Can I make payments by phone or electronically?

Yes, for phone payments call 1-866-285-2996. Electronic payments can be made by electronic check or credit card using our online services. A convenience fee will be added for credit card payments. back to list

Did you receive my return?

We do not track returns as they’re received. If you sent your return electronically and received a confirmation number, we have your return. If you mailed your return by certified mail and received the receipt back, then you can be assured we have it. Otherwise,...

What is form 1099-G and why did I receive it?

Form 1099-G is an income statement issued by the department which reports any refund, credit, carryforward, or offset issued to you for the tax year indicated in Box Q. This document is not a bill.You received this statement because it may be taxable to you if you...