1. Businesses
  2. Close My Business

Close My Business

Tax filings must be up to date prior to closing a business. To avoid non-filing penalties, submit a paper return or e-file on the Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) for every reporting period up to the closing date for the Business Tax Identification Number (BTIN). You must file a return even if there are no gross receipts to report and no tax is due.

Paper return forms for all tax types can be found on the Forms & Publications page of this website.

Notify the Taxation and Revenue Department of your close-of-business date by logging in to your administrator account online profile in the TAP system. Click “more account options” under the BTIN you wish to close.

Under the “Manage my account” cube, click “close account”. Choose the effective date you wish to close by using the calendar option. Once the date is selected, click “submit”. You will be asked to rekey your logon password to verify authorization. The account will immediately reflect as closed as of the date given.  You will still be able to view your account and prior periods. The Business Tax Identification Number will grey out after the close date.

You may also close your account by completing and submitting form ACD-31015 BusinessTax Registration. Instructions are included with the form.

Be sure all your taxes are paid by the due dates associated with your tax account.

If you are closing your business and want to be sure you do not have any unpaid taxes or non-filed returns, you may ask Taxation and Revenue for a Letter of Good Standing.

A successor to your business may submit form ACD-31096, Tax Clearance Request to receive a Certificate of No Tax Due or to determine if the former business owner has a tax liability. For additional information, contact your local district office.

If you are dissolving or withdrawing a corporation from the State of New Mexico, you must request a Corporate Certificate of No Tax Due from the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department. You may also contact the Secretary of State (SOS) for information regarding any further requirements administered by that agency. You may call the SOS at (505) 827-3600 or visit its website here.

An owner of a liquor license who wants to transfer, assign, lease, or sell it to another entity must obtain a Liquor License Clearance (Letter of No Objection) from the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department. You may contact the Alcohol and Gaming Division of the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department (RLD) by calling (505) 476-4875 or visiting the RLD website here.