1. Individuals
  2. Holders Overview
  3. When to file an extension

When to file an extension

In New Mexico, holders other than life insurance companies must file reports on or before November 1 of each year for the 12 months previous to July 1 of that year.

Life Insurance company holders must file on or before May 1 of each year for the previous calendar year.

Submit requests for an extension of time to file an unclaimed property report in writing using RPD-41096, Extension of Time to File. Submit the form to the Unclaimed Property Office before the due date for filing the report.

Unclaimed Property Office

P.O. Box 25123
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-5123
For assistance, please call (505) 827-0767 or (505) 827-0668

Please include:

  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN);
  • contact person;
  • telephone number, and
  • amount of time you need to file.

Authorization of an extension applies only to report filing and penalty. In order to avoid interest, submit payment, along with a copy of an approved holder reporting extension request, to the Holder Compliance Section by either the May 1 or November 1 report due dates, whichever applies.

Holders are required to maintain records that contain the information included in the report for 10 years after the holder files the report.