1. Businesses
  2. Request an Extension to File

Request an Extension to File

We grant reasonable extensions of time for filing a business return if you file the extension application on time.

The application must establish that your business is unable to file the return by the due date because of circumstances beyond your control. Inability to pay the tax is not sufficient reason for issuance of an extension. Extensions also are not granted because of an excessive workload.

Initial extensions are typically granted for a period of 60 days. We do not grant longer periods unless you demonstrate sufficient need for additional time. The Secretary determines whether extensions are granted.

An extension of time to file your return does NOT extend the time to pay. If tax is due, interest accrues from the original due date of the tax. If you expect to owe tax when you file your return, the best policy is to make a payment. For income taxes use an extension payment voucher. Extension payment vouchers are available for personal income tax, corporate income and franchise tax, fiduciary income tax and pass-through entity information returns.

If you have obtained a Federal Automatic Extension, you do not need to submit an Application for Extension of Time to File. It is not necessary to file a New Mexico Extension of time to file unless you need more time than the Federal Automatic Extension allows.

If you wish to request an extension of time for filing a return, submit form RPD-41096, Application for Extension of Time to File.


RPD-41096, Application for Extension of Time to File