Show Subnavigation

When we receive a refund of tax we’ve already paid, it’s a lot like discovering unexpected money in the bank.

Everyone likes to see either a windowed envelope containing the state’s check arrive in the mail -- or perhaps an electronic entry in a bank statement that the refund has already been deposited safely.  

Once in a while, however, there is a problem. In the following pages you can find directions on what to do if your refund is lost; if you make a mistake in the bank’s routing number for a direct deposit of your refund, or more rarely, if another state agency intercepts your refund to satisfy a debt you owe to it or its clients. We also offer hints on how to prevent refund mistakes altogether.

Take the time to check the refund pages. Doing so can make your life a little easier.

Search posts:

The Department generally processes electronically filed returns claiming a refund within 6 to 8 weeks.  A paper return received by the Department takes 8 to 12 weeks to process.

When inquiring about a refund, please allow sufficient time for the Department to process the refund claim.

The status of a refund is available electronically.... Read More

There are many things that you can do to assist the Department in getting your refund out quickly.

  • Electronic Filing—filing electronically means that you will have more accurate returns and receive your refund faster. Access electronic filing.
  • Request Refund Express—direct deposit avoids delays that may occur in mailing checks. Refun... Read More

The Taxation and Revenue Department may intercept Personal Income Tax (PIT) refunds and keep all or part of your refund if you owe other taxes to the state. The refund is applied to the outstanding liability.

In addition, the law requires the Department to transfer all or part of your overpayment to the Human Services Department, the Educational Ass... Read More

There are several notices we may send to you regarding a refund.

The first is a Tax Return Adjustment Notice when a return contains an error and a correction is made. This notice advises of adjustments if there are calculation errors or an incorrect figure such as tax rate. If the adjustment results in an overpayment or an underpayment, either an ov... Read More

If your refund is lost, or if you have not received it after 30 days from the issuance date, please submit an Affidavit for Duplicate State Warrant. The affidavit can take eight to ten weeks to process. Contact your local district office for assistance.

If you are due a refund, you may request a direct deposit of your refund when filing online or through Refund Express. To choose Refund Express complete the “Refund Express” portion on page 2 of Form PIT-1. All fields are required. The bank routing number, account number and the type of account must be entered.

You must also indicat... Read More

View Our Most Popular Pages & Services
Latest News:
Secretary Demesia Padilla

Secretary Demesia Padilla,CPA

Learn more about secretary Padilla

Online Services

Find an Online Service to Serve Your Needs

Taxation and Revenue New Mexico

1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87504
(505) 827-0700

TRD Home          Privacy & Security          Site Policies          Accessibility/Non-Discrimination Statement          
About Us          Contact Us      Site MapLink to New Mexico Tax and Revenue Facebook Page

call us E-Mail Contact Us