If you have a problem with the Department that you are unable to resolve through routine channels, the Department's ombudsman may be able to help.
The ombudsman can:
- Act as liaison between the Governor's Constituent Services Office, state legislators and the federal congressional delegation and the Department;
- Respond to your inquiries about unresolved tax or motor vehicle issues;
- Ensure that the appropriate staff person reviews your complaints;
- Provide you with a written response about the Department's decision if needed;
- Inform you of what action, if any, you should take to resolve the issue, and
- Assist you in understanding your rights and responsibilities under the New Mexico Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
Although the ombudsman can help with all issues listed above, the ombudsman cannot forgive tax liabilities, override state law or grant you tax amnesty. We encourage you to work with the Department's staff to resolve all tax-related and motor vehicle issues. If that fails, then contact the ombudsman at email@example.com.
P.O. Box 630,
Santa Fe, 87504